Skylight Clarkson Square was the location for Academy of Art University’s 21st presentation at New York Fashion Week on September 9, 2017. During the 15-minutes on the runway, graduate-designers presented one-of-a-kind menswear and womenswear lines.
The designers graduated the Academy of Art University with either a Master’s of Fine Arts (MFA) or Bachelor’s of Fine Arts (BFA).
- Dina Marie Lam, MFA Fashion Design, hails from Los Angeles, California.
- Ryan Yu, MFA Fashion Design, was born and raised in Shenyang, Liaoning, China.
- SayaShen from Beijing, China holds an MFA in Fashion Design.
- Eden Slezin, MFA Fashion Design, is from the San Fransisco Bay area.
- Hailun Zhou was born and raised in Qing Dao, China graduated with an MFA in Fashion design.
- Jelly Shan, MFA Fashion Design, hails from Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China.
- Joanna Jadallah, BFA Menswear Fashion Design, was born in Chicago and grew up in Orange County, California.
- Cana Klebanoff, BFA Knitwear Design, was born in Queens, New York.
- Carlos Rodriguez, BFA Womenswear, grew up in Clarksburg, California and born in Mexico City, Mexico.
The Academy of Art University, headquartered in San Francisco, California, was established in 1929 by Richard S. Stephens who was the creative director at Sunset Magazine. President Dr. Elisa Stephens and Chairman Emeritus Richard S. Stephens focus on graduating students educated in current and emerging trends. In addition to Fashion Design, they offer degrees in 21 areas of study which ranges from acting to web design.
Students can participate in accredited AA, BA, BFA, MA, MFA, and a Master’s of Architecture degree programs. The Academy of Art University offers continuing art education and pre-college programs. Future designers have the option of attending classes at the campus or online. According to the university’s brochure, there are over 15,000 students enrolled in their programs.
Some of their notable alumni include Whitney Martin, who worked as a storyboard artist for Fox’s “King of the Hill.” The Academy of Art University alum Deanne Fitzmaurice is a 2005 Pulitzer Prize winner for her photo essay, which focused on the experiences of an Iraqi child’s experiences during the war. They also boast a graduate who won a Student Academy Award, AlyceTzue.